Thursday, June 28, 2012

Grated Beet Slaw


I'll be the first to admit that my fruit and veggie repertoire is fairly limited.  Crudite and ranch dip, anyone?  This is somewhat shameful knowing that my grandfather and uncle were both farmers and my grandparents still grow lots of their own fruits and veggies in a garden in their yard.  It's high time I started expanding my range, so I looked to the Weight Watchers PointsPlus Fruits & Veggies A to Z for a zesty, cool counterpart to my "Alpine Macaroni and Gruyere with Creme Fraiche." Early on in the alphabet, the "Grated Beet Slaw" stood out for its promise of tangy vinegar, sweet grapes, and awesome beet-tastic color.  Time to break out of my comfort zone and start grating those funky-lookin' roots!



Fixins:
  • 1 cup beets (duh.), peeled and grated
  • 1/2 Grapes, halved
  • 1 small carrot, grated
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper
Peel, grate, chop, and slice the veggie components to your heart's content, then toss them with the vinegar, salt and pepper.  Simple 'nuff.

Result:

Pretty colors!  This slaw was indeed zesty as well as cool, but being unfamiliar with beets, I didn't anticipate the raw bitterness that invaded my taste buds on the first bite.  I could eat a little of this, but you'd really have to love those beets to eat a whole bowl. 

Repeat:

Nope.  This was just TOO bitter.  I really couldn't take more than a few bites, and it definitely was not the right side for my mac and cheese.  I liked the idea and I loved the way it looked, but didn't like the taste.  That permanently removes it from the rotation.  Don't tell my grandparents, ok?


Now that it's nice and warm outside, I'm looking to "cook" as little as possible.  What's your favorite no-cook veggie side?

No comments:

Post a Comment