Saturday, July 7, 2012

Grilled Apricot + Feta Salad


Continuing in my quest for the perfect summer side dish comprised of produce, I turned to one of my favorite sources of inspiration, Nadia G and her cookbook, Cookin' For Trouble.  I was intrigued by the color of her "grilled apricot + feta salad" and I've had some fantastic poppy seed dressings like the one in this recipe in the past, so I was excited to give it a try.  I'd also recently seen Bobby Flay grilling some peaches on Food Network and wanted to try my hand at grilling some fruit as well.  Time for some girl on grill action!

Fixins:
  • 6 Tbs EVOO
  • 1/3 cup champagne vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
  • 1 Tbs creamed honey (I just had regular honey)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 garlic clove
  • 1 Tbs poppy seeds
  • Sea salt to taste
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • 8 apricots
  • 1/2 1 small red onion
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 4 fresh mint leaves
Blend olive oil, 3 Tbs of the vinegar, honey, vanilla, and garlic in a food processor, then stir in the poppy seeds, salt, and pepper.  Brush halved apricots with olive oil, then grill on both sides.  Combine sliced onion and remaining vinegar in a saucepan, then simmer until the onions are bright pink.  Top apricot halves with crumbled feta and pickled onions, then drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish with fresh mint.


Result:

I will say one thing for this salad - it is colorful!  The onions are acidic, the poppy seeds are floral, and the feta is pungent.  I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to apricots (my grandfather used to grow them) so I was not impressed by the quality of the store bought ones.  I think the champagne vinegar is pretty important and my hope is that it is less strong than the white wine vinegar I used, the ingredient literally killed this salad.

Repeat:

Eh.  Probably not unless my grandparents send me home with a bushel of apricots and I'm in the mood to spring for the champagne vinegar.  I am very sorry to say that the combined flavors of this salad left me gagging, like the feta and the vinegar were competing for first place by simultaneously stomping on my palette.  This salad just goes to show that looks aren't everything... 

Have you ever pickled anything like the onions in this salad?  What do you like to pickle?  What vinegar do you use?  Amateur minds (a.k.a. me) want to know!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I've never picked onions before, but I keep hearing good things about them in cook books & on the food network. Keep me updated if you find a good recipe that isn't overwhelming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that comment was from me, Dayna... I don't know why it didn't show up as from my gmail account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be sure to post if I find a good pickling recipe!

    ReplyDelete