Sunday, June 2, 2013

Chipotle Turkey Chili


Chili is an American staple.  There are entire festivals devoted to chili, and it seems that every southwestern household has its own signature recipe.  I've never been a huge chili aficionado, mostly because I'm scared it will burn my mouth off.  However, I read a magazine article a while back about a Halloween game plan involving children and adults gathered around a table enjoying a pot of chili followed by full bellies and trick or treat festivities.  This pretty little picture popped into my head, and I was determined to make it mine.  I found the "Chipotle Turkey Chili" recipe in the Cooking with all things Trader Joe's cookbook by Deana Gunn and Wona Miniati, and found the ingredient list general enough that I should be able to find everything at the regular grocery store.  Time for the chili cookoff to commence!


Fixins:
  • 1 pkg ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
  • 3/4 cup refried black beans
  • 1/2 cup chipotle salsa
  • 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
  • Sour cream (optional)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pot on medium heat.  You'll know it's ready when the oil starts to shimmer.  Add the chopped onions and cook for 5 minutes.  Next, add the ground turkey, break it up and brown it.  Add the cumin and cook for one more minute.  Tip in the tomatoes, black beans, refried beans, salsa, and barbecue sauce.  Break up the refried beans as they cook.  Stir until all ingredients are combined and refried beans are dissolved.  Bring the chili to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve up bowls of hot chili and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, (and maybe some chopped chives or green onion!)

The Result:

Warm, thick, and meaty, this chili is comforting and filling while also lean.  The turkey and beans give the chili great substance.  The cumin, salsa and barbecue sauce give the chili long-simmered taste in a short amount of time.  This chili is as spicy as you want it to be.  The salsa that you include will really determine the heat factor.  You could almost say it "sticks to your ribs" but it is just too healthy for that to be true.

Repeat:

I have and I will.  This chili was a hit for Halloween.  It goes great with some green chili cornbread or smothering a baked potato.  My personal favorite option is to mix it in my macaroni and cheese.  It is easy, quick, and cheap to make, it's healthy and it really stretches.  We always have leftovers, and the chili is always popular with guests.  I'm excited to whip it up again this summer, maybe alongside some corn on the cob and nice green salad.  The options are endless for this versatile and easy to customize dish.

What is your favorite lean yet satisfying meal?

2 comments:

  1. I make a very similar chili that serves as a great base for whatever I happen to have around the house. If I have corn, then it goes in, bell peppers? They go in... I also sometimes put in chopped potatoes or sweet potatoes (these need to cook a little longer than the rest of the ingredients) or a can of pumpkin in the fall. You made an excellent chili choice!
    -Dayna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dayna! I like the idea of incorporating potatoes, or seasonal flavors like pumpkin. Can I come over to your house for dinner? :p

      Delete