Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate ganache icing


I started working at my new job today and decided to preemptively make nice with my new co-workers by whipping up some cupcakes for my first day.  I consulted my chocolate bar cookbook by Matt Lewis and Alison Nelson for the perfect recipe.  All I had to do was look at the cover of this cookbook and I knew what I was going to make - "Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate ganache icing." I made these cupcakes for my wedding reception a couple of years ago and they went over beautifully, so I knew they were a safe bet.  They're easier to make than they look!



Fixins
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 6 Tbs unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3/4 milk
  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbs light corn syrup
First you cream together the peanut butter, butter, and vanilla.  Gradually, add your sugar, then eggs one at a time.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, then add the dry stuff to the butter/sugar mixture alternately with the milk.  That's your batter, so you fill the paper-lined muffin cups and put it in the oven for about 16 minutes.  While you're waiting for the cupcakes to bake/cool, prep the ganache by combining butter, heavy cream, and corn syrup in a saucepan on the stove until hot (not boiling).  Pour the hot mixture over your bittersweet chocolate, then stir to melt the chocolate.  Let the ganache cool a little, then dip the cupcakes top-first into the ganache.  Then, just try not to eat them all.

Result:

Admittedly, mine are not as drippy as the ones on the cover, but I like their smooth, shiny chocolate domes.  The cupcakes are a little dense, but there is a great balance of sweetness between the sweet cake and the bittersweet icing.

Repeat:
There are far too many Reese's fans in my life for me not to make these again!  I think part of the reason they turned out dense is that I didn't let the ingredients come to room temperature beforehand.  I'm such a last minute baker!  I'll try to plan ahead next time and whip the eggs just a little longer to see if that helps.

Of the 18 that I made, there is just one left, so I'd say I'm off to a good start in my new office :)  Success!

2 comments: