Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies


As I've grown older and more fond of my kitchen, I have found treats produced from my kitchen to be the best way to show people that I care.  This week is my last week at a lovely job that I've held for almost six years.  The people who work in my office, including a few professional staff and lots of hungry college students, have lit up my day, every day for a long time and I can't think of a better way to say thanks then a yummy batch of these classically, always good, chocolate chip cookies.

Once again, for the basics, I turn to my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.  It's not the prettiest cookbook or the most fun to read, but I'm of the opinion that you should perfect the basics before you try to get all fancy with them.  It helps to know why a recipe turns out well before adjusting it.  That's why, more often than not, I open up the red and white kitchen bible.



Fixins:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • (Recipe lists chopped nuts as an optional ingredient, but I like my cookies soft through and through, so I don't use them)
The beauty of these cookies is that they take just one bowl to make.  None of that "mix dry ingredients separately" or "dirty up half your kitchen utensils" nonsense.  You start by creaming the butter and shortening together, then you add the sugars and baking soda and mix until combined.  Next you add the eggs and vanilla.  I think it helps to beat the eggs just a little bit longer than called for - it seems to make a fluffier cookie.  Then you add the flour.  Once that's all mixed in, you stir in the chocolate chips, and presto-chango, you've got cookie dough!  Bake those babies around 6 or 7 minutes to catch them in their most gooey and wonderful state.

Result:


In this case, I think a picture is worth a thousand words.

Repeat:
I have many times before and I'm not about to stop now!  However, I do feel ready to try something new with them.  I've been eyeing the "Spiced oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies" recipe from The Chocolate Bar cookbook, so perhaps that will be my next cookie foray.  Until then, I think I'll sneak a few of the originals in before bedtime.  Hey, I'm an adult.  It is my right.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! You know they're good for breakfast too with a nice big cup of coffee!!

    ReplyDelete