Monday, April 23, 2012

Roasted Garlic Spread


Saturday night was date night, and the husband and I both felt a hankering for some garlic.  We drove ourselves to Garlic Jo's, which used to be quite the garlic-laced dinner spot.  I was very disappointed this time around to receive an appetizer of "roasted garlic" that was still hard... Hard garlic?  At a garlic restaurant?  Fuggedaboudit!

I was determined to do better, but was in need of a guide.  Enter the cooking bible - the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, with the answer: "Roasted Garlic Spread."  I just LOVE the fixins list for this one...



Fixins:
  • 1 head of garlic
  • Drizzle of olive oil
You peel away all but the last layer of skin away from the head of garlic, then cut off the top so that the garlic cloves are exposed.  Drizzle with olive oil in a muffin tin, cover with foil, and bake for 25 minutes.  Simple, no?

Result:

Oh, the spreadable, soft, mild garlic heaven that was achieved!  I dare you not to immediately smear that on bread.  I stayed strong, though, because my roasted garlic is destined for some homemade hummus.  This little treat is really so versatile though - it goes with rice, pasta, meat, veggies - basically anything you can dream up.

Repeat:
Yes, yes, yes.  The next I'm craving garlic, instead of driving across town, I'll just roast up a couple heads of garlic a la Better Homes and Gardens and spread it on a fresh baguette.  Why get complicated, when you can just get delicious?

1 comment: