Friday, April 20, 2012

The Lady's Warm Potato Salad


I was reading Paula Deen - A Memoir - It Aint All About the Cookin' on the bus as I rode home from work.  I hit the "Food, Glorious Food, Southern Style" chapter, and I new my dinner fate was sealed.  I've had a hankering for potato salad and have so far been dissatisfied with most pre-made varieties that have crossed my path.  It is high time, I decided, to forge ahead and create my own path, bespeckled with bits of potato and spoonfuls of mayo, of course.

The Lady's Warm Potato Salad comes from The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook by Paula Deen, owner of the Georgian restaurant by the same name.  Since I started reading her memoir last weekend, I've been dying to make one of her recipes.  It's Friday at 6pm, I'm in my pajamas, what is a girl to do but open up some wine and whip up some southern yumminess?



Fixins:
  • 8 red potatoes
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (If you see blue in the pic, it's because I used leftover easter eggs!)
  • 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 2 Tbs. steak seasoning (recipe called for Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt, but I had none)
  • 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Note: The recipe also called for 1/4 cup diced pimentos, but I don't like them, so...I didn't use them.
Boil the potatoes until kinda soft & let them cool slightly.  Five minutes to cool did the trick for me.   Place the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, then add the cubed potatoes. 

Result:

Three words came to mind with my first bite of this dish: "delicious" and "whoooee, pepper!"  There is definitely a kick to this spud salad!  Perhaps it's the steak seasoning that I used.  I looked up Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt and I found it described as "coarsely-ground salt blended with dehydrated herb flakes as well as onion and garlic powder," I figured steak seasoning would work.  I guess I just didn't account for the extra pepper.  Luckily I still had that wine to wash it all down!

Repeat:
Definitely, yes.  This potato salad was leaps and bounds better than anything I've had at a store or restaurant.  I love the naturally buttery red potatoes and the seasonings were great.  I'll cut down on the pepper next time, and perhaps even invest in some Krazy Salt ridiculousness to see if it makes a difference.  I think I might also try a red bell pepper for some nice color contrast, and perhaps non-former easter eggs to avoid the otherworldly blue hue. Overall, I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty yummy Christina. I might just have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do - it was great! Here's the recipe as listed on Food Network's website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-ladys-warm-potato-salad-recipe/index.html It looks to be the same as one in the book. Let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete