Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Popovers



One of the lovely things about getting married is receiving the advice and words of wisdom passed down from those who have loved and learned before you.  One of my favorite bits of advice came in the form of this cookbook, Williams-Sonoma Bride & Groom Cookbook: Recipes for cooking together by Gayle Pirie & John Clark.  It is part of a set, which also contains a guide to entertaining, for a true amateur such as myself.  The books set the stage for a sharing, harmonious kitchen, if only you would follow their simple directions.  As we all know, marriage is no fairy land and we make do with what we have, but there are some great tips and recipes in here.  I was inspired to make breakfast for my slumbering hubby, and as usual I had failed to plan for something fancy for breakfast, so "Popovers" stood out to me as something that didn't require a ton of technique and had a really short ingredient list.  Best of all, while simple, they're really easy to dress up.


Fixins:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbs butter, melted
That's it.  Seriously!  Whisk the eggs and milk together, then whisk in the flour, salt, and butter.  Stir until well blended, but there will be lumps, and that is okay!  Spray a non-stick muffin tin with some cooking spray because these suckers will stick no matter what.  Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups.  Put the pan in the cold oven, then turn it on to 425 degrees F.  After 20 minutes, turn it down to 350 degrees F and continue baking until the popovers "pop over" the tops of the cups.  As I take them out of the muffin tin, they tend to deflate a bit.  I don't know how to prevent this or if I'm even supposed to, but they taste delicious regardless.

Result:

In a nutshell, popovers are golden brown, puffy, tender and oh-so-buttery.  I like to serve them with butter, Nutella, and preserves for a "choose your own adventure" kind of breakfast.  These are seriously great with a bowl of grapes or other juicy fruit that you can easily eat with your fingers. 


Repeat:

Most definitely, yes.  They're easy to make when I'm feeling like something different for breakfast and will please almost everyone since people can fix them up as they'd like.  Pop on over sometime and I'll make some for you!  (Oh, so punny!!)

What is your "go to" breakfast when you're feeling fancy?

2 comments:

  1. There is a really fun Good Eats episode about popovers. I think the way to prevent them from deflating is by poking a hole in the top after they come out of the oven. This lets some of the air inside out.

    -Dayna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched the episode in question and Alton certainly does it differently than I do, but I think I'll try the knife trick next time and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip, Dayna!

      Delete